Pediatric Department: Children Admitted To Hospital For Swallowing Small Electronic Items In UAE

Pediatric Department: Children Admitted To Hospital For Swallowing Small Electronic Items In UAE
Follow NewsGulf.in on Google News

Dubai: A child who swallowed a small electronic device has been admitted to a hospital in the UAE. Two children were rushed to hospital after swallowing batteries and more than five magnets. A hospital in the UAE has reported an increase in the number of cases of children swallowing chemicals and small electronic items.
Five cases were received within 10 days, including two children who drank detergents used to clean the gut. One child suffered significant damage to the esophagus, while another suffered permanent injuries to the stomach and esophagus.

The most common objects swallowed by children are batteries, magnets, nails and chicken bones, which doctors have warned could cause serious harm. He added that the consequences would be devastating and irreversible. Cases may be more frequent as only cases requiring endoscopic intervention are available in the pediatric gastroenterology department. 

Add Comment